Friday, June 20, 2008

The Rules . . .

A couple posts ago I wrote about how agent/editor blogs can confuse authors because of all the different and sometimes opposing advice they offer.

Jessica Faust at BookEnds has just written an excellent entry on the subject of rules and writing and stuff like that today. And she basically says what I've said, you have to take what works for you, don't try to be all things to all people, and to most importantly be thoughtful and professional. However, she not only writes more in depth about the whole subject, but she's also an agent so has more of an inside scoop than I ever will.

If you have the inclination, check it out!

4 comments:

Marian Perera said...

Thanks for the tip! I;ll check out Jessica Faust's post.

Anonymous said...

You know, I was checking out agent blogs for a while, but I recently realized how irritated it makes me! So, I have purged my RSS reader of the agents. Feels quite good, actually.

But, for those who want to read that kind of thing, I second that, as far as they go, Jessica's posts are some of the best/most helpful out there.

J m mcdermott said...

I actually think it would be a fun mental exercise to write a book that follows every single rule out there.

I can't imagine writing the proposal for it, though.

"Enclosed is the perfect book. Read it. Bask in its awesome blandness of perfection."

Adrienne said...

marian - no problem!

robert - yeah sometimes it's best to take a break from the blogs now and again. But Jessica's is very good.

jmm - wouldn't it be even weirder if you followed all the rules and the book was fabulous? Unlikely it would happen that way, but it would be really really amusing.