Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Advice

Occasionally I get asked for advice. Most of the time I get specific questions about specific issues a writer is dealing with. But sometimes I get:

"What advice can you give an aspiring writer?"

. . .

This is a pretty big question as you can imagine. There is a lot a lot of advice that can be given out. About writing. About the publishing process. About marketing. About maintaining sanity. Of course I always have opinions on any subject, and I thought I would maybe write a couple of posts in the coming days on each of these topics.

But today's entry is going to be a nice list of links. Because there is no way I could feel comfortable giving my relative newbie advice without sharing the knowledge of some pretty smart and more experienced individuals first.

So . . . check out JA Konrath's blog if you are interested on advice on self promotion, he has some truly amazing insights.

John Scalzi just recently posted a very interesting entry on Writers and Money (but his blog in general is an excellent read).

There are also a gazillion agent blogs out there all trying to help writers find their way through the mysterious querying process, as well as just being informative about the agenting business. Start with Pub Rants, and follow the links on her page to other agent blogs.

Interested in writing for children? I've just come across this blog by an anonymous editor of children's books. There are also these two websites devoted strictly to writing for children: Verla Kay and Write4Kids.

For general information about agents and a good introduction to the world of query writing, check out Agent Query.

And to check up on the legitimacy on any agents or editors, we have Predators and Editors, as well as Writer Beware (and its fabulous blog). Writer Beware is also the site that introduced the Twenty Worst Agents list, well worth checking out.

I also have already linked to several other blogs and websites in the sidebar here at The Temp, The Actress and The Writer, totally check them out.

Lastly, if any of my fabulous readers would like to add to this list in the comments section please do so! I only learned about many of these sites through online friends like yourselves!

Next post, I shall attempt to answer the writing advice question myself. Until then . . .I think these links will totally keep you all rather occupied!

4 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

This is great- some of those are new to me!

Nik Perring said...

Top post, Adrienne.

Nik

Adrienne said...

Ooh! Glad you guys liked this one! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the list! A few of these were new to me, and I'll be checking them out.