Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Steampunk Tuesday - Archetypal Costumes!

So last week I shared with you my Steampunked apartment.  One of the things I shared was a poster with common Steampunk archetypes on it.  A commenter asked if I could show closeups of each one, and I said sure!  I then thought to myself, "What if I show each one, and then a real representation of each??"  And I was like, "Dude, that's awesome."

So that's what I'm doing this week.  Most of the people in these images are people I know from the Steampunk community.  Also the pics of the poster are a bit fuzzy because . . . well no matter what I did to make them not so much, I couldn't, and I have many things to do today and I couldn't spend too much time making it perfect.

I should also add that the poster is courtesy of Florian Liedtke and is part of his online Steampunk role playing game:  Machina Obscura.

And now!  The archetypes!





Rapper Professor Elemental and Me




Author J.M. Frey and DJ Th'Elf



(I'm expanding this to Mad Scientist because Chemist is awfully specific)

Toronto Steampunk Society's Amanda Stock and Dr. Holocaust





Todd Clark and Ashley Kung








Lloyd Penny and a lovely young lady I don't know.






Adam Smith (Steampunk Canada) and Amanda Stock (again) (The Toronto Steampunk Society).




There are also some other archetypes that I feel are missing from the poster.  Two of which I would like to include:


The Lady and Gentleman:

Kenneth Shelley and Ashley Kung


Just love this picture of Edith Chartier.




And the Intellectual:




The Steampunk Scholar Mike Perschon and lady of Steampunk Canada Lee Ann Farruga






7 comments:

Sue Sedgwick said...

Great fun. I like. Now where are my corset, my goggles and my bicycle wheel?

Florian said...

Hey, thanks for giving proper credit :)
Happy to see that you like the illustrations so much. I even envy you for the poster... I do not have such a poster myself, although I have been thinking about it for quite a while.
I haven't had any feedback from the convention, though, or only a little.
Well, glad to see that my creations (I did not draw them, I commissioned them from werdandi.deviantart.com , just as info) are having an impact in the steampunk community!
Thanks :)
- Florian

Adrienne said...

Florian - I'm all about giving proper credit.

And absolutely they are having an impact! The exhibit where the poster was . . . exhibited . . . was a marvelous success. It's a pity you couldn't have come to see it yourself!

At any rate, you are more than welcome, and thank you so much for stopping by! :)

Anonymous said...

allright im just starting into this and is it ok for my character to be an adventurer that designs and build weapons and other things or do i have to pick between these examples

Anonymous said...

I am quite stuck as I am indecisive of which type I fit I am both intellectual and Aristocratic could I perhaps mix both into one? It seems both types are quite similiar

Anonymous said...

I'm a mix of the aeronaut and the intellectual

Unknown said...

I am new to Steampunk but am having a wonderful, creative time with it! My character is still in development. I will be Madame VanDeusen, adventuress and potions maker extraordinaire. I guess, then, that my character will be a mix of chemist and adventurer. I am going to a steampunk faire at the end of the month, so for now I'm using whatever I found in my closet for a costume.

Looking for any ideas on character development. I have a notebook that I keep for various interesting notes and development. Maybe I'll make a story out of it! But thanks for this information! Very helpful! I look forward to reading new posts!!